Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Last Man Standing


When I moved to NYC 3 years ago I made several friends. Some had been here for a few years more than I, some had only been here a few months longer than I, some arrived at exactly the same time. In the 3 years that i've lived here I slowly watched as new people came into my life, and those old friends, my first "New York City friends", left the city to pursue "life" elsewhere. Well, the last of that crew is finally leaving. She's moving to Ghana for her job in International Affairs. This means that I am, officially, the last man standing.

It's so odd to me to be in this position, because I can remember sitting on my friend Amy's apartment floor, with her, Debbie, Robin and I laughing at people on the Oscars and talking about how ready I was to leave New York City. Now, here I am with all of them gone, along with the rest of my original NYC friends. It does leave me a bit nostalgic. I think back to my first few months here in New York, and I really can't believe that i'm still here. But, in a good way.


Fortunately, I have many other friends and am always accepting applications for new ones. In that respect I suppose i'm not truly the last man standing, as that implies that i'm standing alone. I do kind of feel like I should get a prize.


Maybe i'll give Bloomberg a call.

0 comments: