Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Birthday Ideas...

My passport came today, which is shocking considering that I just submitted the application last week. However, my dream of a birthday in Montreal is still out of the question since none of my friends can afford to go to Montreal with 3 weeks notice. I’ve decided that the lounge thing just isn’t in me this year. The idea of planning it is exhausting. The more I think about it, the more I want to do something outside of New York City anyway. So far I’ve considered Rockland County NY, Portland OR, Seattle WA, Las Vegas NV, even Austin TX for heavens sake (no offense to Austin as I’m sure it’s a great little town!). I’d like to include friends in whatever I do, but that puts anywhere outside of the greater NYC area out of the question. At one point I thought, “hey maybe I’ll go camping upstate!!” But that was a no go. I love the outdoors. I can be outdoors for hours upon hours and part of my looking at the places I have so far is due to the fact that they have lots to do outdoors. However, I’ve always been a firm believer that doing things outdoors is that much more fun when you can retreat to the comfort of the indoors at the end of the day. From this I will not be swayed!

As I’m thinking about it, maybe I can travel somewhere for my birthday, but do so with the intent to give back to others in some way shape or form. What better way to celebrate the life you’ve been given than to use it to bless someone else’s. I’d still be away, maybe with friends (most likely only if I travel to a GCN hotspot) and maybe that in itself would be celebration enough. Perhaps this is something to explore…

- Bryan

3 comments:

The Blogger said...

Bryan, if you want to do the GCN "hotspot" thing, you might consider the Bay Area. There are lots of GCNers around.

And SF is a beautiful city with tons to do.

Or you might also consider SoCal...lots of GCNers, lots to do, and a bit warmer than the bay this time of year.

No matter what, I pray God's blessings on you in the coming year.

Happy B-day! (month) ;)

David said...

Austin has a Wikipedia page??!

Bryan said...

Yes it does. You should be proud. Austin is 11% more popular than you think!

Hey Blogger: I've been to SoCal a gazillion times, probably every year since 2003, with the past two being spent with mostly GCN'ers. I kinda want to mix it up this year and go somewhere i've never been. SF is still an option though. It'd be nice to finally see a few folks there.