Saturday, December 08, 2007

Twenty Something

A few weeks ago I made a comment to a friend in which I referenced people in their early 20’s. I unconsciously did so in a way that implied that I fit into that category, only to have my friend point out that I’m no longer in my early 20’s. “Wow. I’m no longer in my early 20’s” I thought to myself afterwards. When the heck did that happen?! When did I enter this new and final phase of young adulthood, and why didn’t I realize it? Regardless, I must accept the truth that I’m getting older. Doing so isn’t that difficult because to be honest, it’s great!

I’ve reached a point where I know who I am, not completely, but much more than I did at 21. I have enough of a sense of what I want to know how to follow in its general direction. Much more of what I do is because I want to do it, and much less is driven by the expectations of others. I’m much less interested in being someone else’s ideal person, and much more interested in being the best me that I can be. I'm much more capable of accepting those things that I cannot change, and much more interested in working on those things that I can. More and more, I am who I am because it’s who I want to be.

As I sit in my own apartment with rent I can actually afford, in the city I’ve wanted to be in since I was 7, with a job I never thought I’d have, in a company I wanted to work for since I was 21, with more friends and family than I ever thought i'd have, I’m thankful to say that none of the "good me” was lost in the process. Now, I no longer miss who I was at 21, but instead, am pretty proud of who I am at 26.


- Bryan

0 comments: