Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point


A good friend shot me this quote in an email that I read today. It's from Pascal. Its highly philosophical and therefore very thought provoking. Its quite deep, and I don't like it!!

See, I seek to apply such statements as medicine to an illness...although perhaps therein lies the problem. I expect to read something like this and to see what wounds, what scars, what ailments it is applicable to. In a way, I look to strong philosophical statements for wisdom from which I can derive answers. However, in reading this i'm left with more questions than I am answers.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point.- Translation: The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of

WHAT?! Thanks Pascal!! I could have told you that one!

If anything, this reminds me of just how many reasons my heart has which my reasoning knows nothing of! And that, my friends, is the complexity of emotion. We can control our thoughts and our actions, but feelings are often all together different animals. I myself have often said "emotions suck". I say it humorously and it usually gets a laugh from both myself and the hearer...but I often wonder if people realize how much I mean what i'm saying. I don't say it in jest, nor do I say it to be morose. I say it because it's how I truly feel.

The pain of wanting something for yourself, that no matter how noble, you can never have. The sorrow in watching someone you love struggle to survive and loose that battle. The hurt and anger in being taken advantage of and the questions that ensue as to what YOU could have done differently. The ache of caring for someone deeply who does not feel quite the same, and moreover, who you cannot see, hear, or touch. The awkwardness of caring what others think in spite of all attempts not to. The hurt of being rejected because of who you are and what you believe. Gosh..i could go on and on.

This is no picnic Pascal! But somehow I feel that you knew that, and perhaps it is from that knowledge that your statement was spawned. I will ponder over this a little more...

I am grateful to my friend for sharing this though. After all, the heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

LET THE "EMO" BE UNLEASHED (in all of us)!!!