Friday, November 03, 2006

Life in the South Pacific


This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately as I finish the application process to teach abroad. It is quite interesting thinking about spending at least a year in a region of the world that, truthfully, I never even considered going to. Yet here I am, beside myself at the prospect of being able to use the gifts God has given me to help others.

Interesting thing about moving abroad to "help others", is that I am thoroughly convinced that the people who are truly helped in such situations are the people who are going abroad, as opposed to the locals they will be interacting with. It is quite interesting the number of people who refer to what I will hopefully embark upon as "sacrificing" or "giving of myself for the good of others", as if the people I’m going to work, live, and commune with will not be "whole" until my glorious arrival. Now of course there is a certain degree of sacrifice involved with this process. That’s a given. I sacrifice my broadband internet which I love oh so dearly. I sacrifice the foods and the amenities I thought I could not live without. I sacrifice sleeping on a mattress in a beautiful apartment. I sacrifice all manner of efficient pest control. I sacrifice a very decent salary with a prestigious organization. I sacrifice the ability to see my family and friends for quite some time. I sacrifice many other things that I have yet to realize...some of which I probably will not realize until I leave.

However, what I am receiving in return is so much greater. Frankly, I imagine (and have been told) that through this experience I will find that of all these "sacrifices" will seem rather trivial in comparison to the extraordinary benefit of living and teaching in a developing nation. To live in place and with a people that do not value material things the way I am used to, that do not know the concept of racism, that value family and friendship over work and material wealth...that's quite the contrast from the world I’ve lived in for the past few years….quite a refreshing change! Living on one of the world’s most beautiful islands isn’t too shabby either!

All that being said, what I stand to do is not for everyone…not by any stretch of the imagination!!! I am not one of those people who believes that everyone should go volunteer abroad or something of the sort at least once in their lives...although I do see the benefits. Everyone brings to the table a different set of God given gifts, interests, and goals for themselves. Goodness...you could not have convinced me that I would ever consider doing what I’m doing six months ago. Yet here I am, not just considering it, but in love with the very idea of it all.

How things change! How we change!

0 comments: