Sunday, September 23, 2007

Follow up to "Oh How I love New York Nightlife....in Small Doses"

There were about 16 of us who went to Manahatta, a really great club in the East Village, to celebrate my bff’s birthday last night. A good time was had by all. It’s quite the trek from Morningside Heights to the East Village, which is why I seldom go to the East Village. That being said, the East Village does have some awesome bars, restaurants, clubs, lounges, etc. so it’s a great place to chill on a Friday or Saturday night.


Upon arrival I was fortunate enough not to have to wait in line because I was on the guest list. One of the things that irks me sometimes about the NYC night club scene is the long lines and the fact that some clubs are so pretentious. Getting in has never been a problem for me, but when I’m going out to have a good time I want to get excited about going out to have a good time, not work my nerves up by spending hours getting ready in order to give myself the best shot at getting in, which half the time, for guys, really just comes down to whether or not you’re with hot girls.

Anyway, as I walked past the guards and through the doors into deafening music and a sea of people, I realized something, something I already suspected. This “something” only became more evident as I attempted to make my way to the back of the lounge so that I could head downstairs to the club. As I tip-toed, wiggled, and inched my way through the throngs of people packed so tightly together that I feared death by asphyxiation, I realized 1) someone just grabbed my butt…eww, and 2) I’M TOO OLD FOR THIS CRAP! This is all rather amusing as there was a day, not long ago, when I loved the night club scene though pretentious it can sometimes be. I loved the loud music, the dancing, the lights, the entire vibe was just my “thing”. Now, I’ll take an apple martini over good conversation at a place like Buddakan over last night’s festivities any day of the week. I guess I’m growing up. Yay, I’m mature!

It was a great night though, regardless of how many times I looked at my watch and wondered how much more bumping and grinding I could really do before I crawled behind a curtain and went to bed. Good pictures were taken through out the night, and by “good” I mean incriminating pictures which will never see the light of day.

I didn’t get home until close to 5am. I was only able to get a few hours of sleep before I had to wake up and head to church for a brunch meeting after the service. It’s a gorgeous day today! However, the hour and a half I spent looking out the window at brunch plus the 5 minute walk from the bus stop to my house was enough for me to take the day in. I’m going to sleep.

Night!

2 comments:

ayla.bird said...

I remember the "I'm too old for this" moment...

KJS said...

The East Village is a world away from those of us in the Heights ... which is crazy because I bet it's only like five miles! That's why I rarely go their either ... always a good time down there though.