Saturday, September 08, 2007

Bye-bye Dirty Laundry....I Never Loved You

So, I’ve done it. I’ve officially become a New Yorker, and by that I mean that I pay someone else quite a bit of money to do my laundry.

Now BEFORE YOU JUDGE….please know that doing laundry in a place like NYC is both expensive and an out and out pain in the rear. I suppose it’s not so bad if you have lots of time on your hands and live within a few blocks of a Laundromat. However, I have neither lots of time on my hands nor the desire to schlep my laundry all the way up to Broadway and 125. So, yes….every other Saturday I have someone come my to home, an extremely pleasant and very timely gentleman I might add, and whisk away the above bag filled with my many unmentionables. Two days later (or sometimes within 24 hours) he returns with my clothes nicely folded and my dress shirts and pants starched and hung on the neatest little hangers, which are only neat because they’re free! Well, that and the pants are hung on hangers that are designed to keep them from getting that unseemly hang wrinkle, which I dread!

Yes, this is a luxury. And yes, I feel quite blessed to be able to do such a thing. I try to take none of that for granted.

My laundry man comes tomorrow. I’m excited. I have dish towels and some new shirts that are in need of some eco-groovy skin-friendly satisfaction-guaranteed cleaning!

0 comments: