Thursday, September 20, 2007

Autumn in New York and a Place to Call Home

So, it's Autumn in New York. Well, it's not officially autumn, but seeing as though the official beginning of the autumn season is only a few days away, I'm officially declaring it Autumn here on "Another Side of Something." Autumn is one of my favorite times of year next to Spring. The Northeast is a beautiful place to be this time of year. The leaves take on new colors, the air becomes crisp and clear (as clear as it can get here in the city), and the pace picks up as everyone knows they're closing in on the holidays and a brand New Year. If you've never had the chance to visit the Northeast during Autumn I'd encourage you to do so. It truly is a sight to see.

All that being said, I can't believe that I've lived here for over two years. It seems like only yesterday I was searching for apartments with my former roommates and wondering if this on-again-off-again love I had for New York, NY could ever turn into a permanent thing. Little did I know that my on-again-off-again love "thang" for this city would actually continue to be on-again-off-again (and sometimes more "off" than "on") for a year and a half after my move. My my, how things change. I could think of no better city to call home than this one. It fits me. I've experienced more in the past 2 years here in New York than I experienced in the 5 years before I got here. I've grown more as well, and the growing only continues.

It was only six short months ago during a conversation with some friends that I realized that I only stayed in New York because it was "New York". I stayed because it was the city that never slept, the big apple, and almost everywhere I went outside of this city people thought it was a really big deal, particularly in the sticks of Pennsylvania where my family lives. I stayed because not knowing where to go was more unsettling than being unhappy. Now, I stay because it's home. Home is where your heart is, and my heart is here. What can I say? I'm a New Yorker.

3 comments:

David said...

You northeasterners and your "seasons". At this very moment that I am typing it is 90 degrees outside. When we get our one week of autumn I'll be sure to let you know.

Glad you love your city. Ain't it better than SoCal? :)

KJS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KJS said...

I'm right there with you ...