Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Nostalgia in the fall...Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland Illinois

This song always reminds me of the fall of 2006. It's "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens. Last fall I would wake up at 5am to jog through Riverside Park. I remember how surreal it felt to be up and out at 5am, ipod on full blast, breathing in the crisp Fall air, and running through the park feeling the leaves crackle beneath my feet. There was something about being up before the rest of the city. One of the cool things about Riverside Park is that it overlooks the Hudson. Granted, the Hudson isn't exactly the beach at the Bahamas. Yeah, actually it's more like the dirty sandy puddle of water that coagulates at the drain of those out door showers at the beach. But still, there was something about looking out over the water to the other side (which mind you is New Jersey…but still).



I would often listen to Sufjan Stevens as I’d run and this song always seemed to strike a chord with me. At the time, I was still grappling with being gay, being Christian, living in New York City, wanting to move yet wanting to stay, disliking my job, wanting more friends, wanting more authenticity, and having absolutely no idea what I was doing or where I was going. So much is different now, so much so that I can't believe it's only been a year. Yet, it seems like this was all just yesterday.

I no longer run in Riverside Park, but instead listen to the leaves crackle under foot as I make my way through Morningside Heights. A year later and I’m still here, physically, emotionally, and mentally. Now, as much as I love New York, the truth is that I have no idea where I’ll be this time next year….if I’ll need to trade in my “I Love New York” t-shirt for a “I love fresh air, not spending a fortune to live in a cubby hole, and rediscovering that even 3 feet of personal space is more than enough at 8am” t-shirt. The possibilities are endless…and I find that rather exciting.

Hmmm...maybe tomorrow morning I’ll go for an extended jog through Riverside Park.





-Bryan

0 comments: